The Humane Society of North Iowa is a fun and rewarding place to work! If you are a compassionate person who loves animals, this just might be the place for you! If you are interested in one of our positions, please apply in person at our shelter:
Humane Society of North Iowa
2700 South Birch Drive
Mason City, IA 50401
The Humane Society of North Iowa has the following job openings:
Job Title: Customer Service Assistant
Reports to: Shelter Manager, Executive Director
Qualifications: Seeking friendly, outgoing personality to assist customers, volunteers, and potential adopters at the Humane Society of North Iowa animal shelter. Must be willing to work with the public and with animals. Basic computer knowledge a plus. Must have valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Must be 18 to apply.
Education requirement: High school diploma or equivalent.
Working conditions: Fast-paced environment. Working with the public and animals is required. Noise level in work environment may be loud, lifting up to 40 pounds or more may be required.
Employees supervised: none
Hours: Up to 35/week during shelter hours: Tuesday-Friday (10:00am-5:00pm), Wednesday (10:00-7:00pm) and Saturday (10:00am-4:00pm) (one Saturday off per month)
Wage: $8.00/hour + opportunity for $.25/hour increase based upon a positive performance review at 90 day and an additional $.25/hour based upon a positive performance review at 180 days.
- Greeting the public and volunteers in a warm and friendly manner
- Educating the public about our procedures and philosophies and increasing general awareness of animal issues
- Presenting animals to the public and assisting in adoption process
- Answering the telephone and covering the front desk
- Assisting with record keeping as directed
- Exercising and caring for shelter animals; reporting any medical or behavioral concerns
- Providing direct animal care including grooming, bathing, or administering medications as needed or as directed
- Assisting in transporting animals to and from veterinarian’s office
- Cleaning animal and shelter areas on an as needed basis
- Picking up and organizing food, medical supplies, and shelter supplies
- Filling in for kennel staff as needed
- Performing other duties as directed
- Maintaining professional and ethical standards in all shelter affairs including confidentiality and positive communication skills.
- Adhering to all policies adopted by the Board of Directors
Job Title: Kennel Worker (Weekend shifts!)
Reports to: Kennel Manager and Shelter Manager
Qualifications: Willing and able to work directly with shelter animals; basic math, reading, writing and oral communication skills; able to read and comprehend simple instructions; able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions; able to work well without direct supervision.
Working conditions: Working directly with dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals. Noise level in work environment is loud, working in inclement weather is required, lifting up to 50 pounds or more is required, regularly required to stand, sit, walk, stoop, or kneel, manual labor is required.
Employees Supervised: none
Responsible for the general care and monitoring of the animals in the cae of the Humane Society of North Iowa within the guidelines set by the Board of Directors
Hours: Various shifts
- Care of animals: feeds and water shelter animals, exercise animals, administers medication per request of Shelter Manager, socialize the animals
- Cleaning: cleans kennels sweep and mops floors, cleans outside dog areas, sprays and disinfects outside dog runs, takes out garbage, does laundry, performs light cleaning duties
- Record keeping: completes records (Animal Record sheets) and makes notations regarding any concerns about temperament, appetite, attitude, health issues
- Other duties: attends to cleanliness of animals, notifies Shelter Manager when running low on supplies, any other duties deemed necessary by Kennel Manager or Shelter Manager
Must have reliable transportation and be 18 to apply.
Starting wage is $8.00 per hour and all the puppy kisses and kitten cuddles you can handle! We also offer a $.25/hr performance bonus after 90 days AND 180 days of employment.