There are many ways that you can help the Humane Society of North Iowa…
Ways to Volunteer
- Exercise animals — We have some wonderful volunteers who regularly come by to walk the dogs, but there are so many times and days when there is a great need for additional walkers. It’s both fun for the dog and you and great exercise for both of you! Volunteers must be 16 years to volunteer on their own or be accompanied by an adult over the age of 18. Please see the Volunteer Application for full details.
- Foster care — Sometimes we’re full and cannot take another animal, but we’re faced with urgent needs to shelter an animal(s). If you can spare an emergency few days, weeks, or months to help relieve the stress on our shelter and comfort an animal(s), please click here for more info.
- Pet and play with the animals — The easiest, most rewarding and fun thing you can do is come to the shelter to pet and play with the animals. Your visit and individual attention helps the animals stay comfortable around people and aides in their adoption.
- Board members — We have dedicated board members and are always looking for more interested and talented people to join us as board members’ terms expire. Our Board of Directors meet the 2nd Tuesday of every month at the shelter. Please inquire at the shelter for more information.
- Community involvement — We need volunteers to represent the Humane Society of North Iowa at community events like School Programs, Community Festivals and Fairs, Parades, Service Group Meetings, Nursing Home and Assisted Living Visits, and more. If you like animals and people, this is a great opportunity for you!
- Professional services — Are you a plumber, carpenter, or electrician who can lend a hand and save us a repair bill? Let us know if you are willing to “in-kind” or offer your services at a reduced rate to our organization.
We would be thrilled to have you help us out as an individual, a family, or a service group. We ask that groups of more than 5 call in ahead of time to let us know you are coming!
For more information on volunteering, contact HSNI or download the Volunteer Application, fill it out, and return it to the HSNI office. (The Volunteer Application is in Adobe PDF format and requires the Adobe Reader to view it. If you need a copy of the free Adobe Reader, visitAdobe’s web site.)
For more detailed information about volunteering your time at the shelter, please read our page Volunteering 101.
We welcome group visits to our shelter! Here are the basics you should know:
- We ask that groups of 5 or more call the shelter in advance to schedule their visit (641-423-6241).
- To ensure everyone’s safe enjoyment, we ask that groups of visitors under the age of 12 have at least one adult supervisor for every 3 children in the group.
- Group visits are welcome during our regular shelter hours (Tues-Fri (10-5), Wed (10-7) and Sat (10-4)).
- Visitors under the age of 18 are required to have parental/guardian consent to volunteer at the shelter.
For more details about volunteering at the shelter, please read our page Volunteering 101.